Click any of the links above to find a Unit Study that I've designed (and usually tried with my own kids) just for homeschool families like you! This is a work in progress, so none of the units are completely finished, but hopefully you can find something you can use with your own family!

Search This Blog

Review: First Language Lessons


First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind, Level 1   First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind, Level 2  -     By: Jessie Wise


See Level 1 Samples here

See Level 2 Samples here


There is not a single book published by Peace Hill Press that I have not enjoyed & loved. First Language Lessons is among the most simple, easy approaches to grammar that I have found. Just like with Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading, these books are so simple, I felt like they were not enough. I felt like I needed to add more. But then I found out anything I was adding was actually included later in the book or in the series. At just 15 minutes or less a day, I feel like my 2nd grader is already ahead of many of her peers in the area of grammar and is ready to begin more advanced grammar and writing exercises.

It took me awhile to realize the value of copywork, narration, and dictation, which is the process and philosophy used throughout these books. The beauty of these books is that you don't have to do the copywork if your child is not ready. My daughter has always hated handwriting, so we skipped much of the copywork. I wish I would have pushed her to do a little more, now that we're more than halfway through Level 2, but I still think she's gotten a lot out of these books as is. They even include things I wouldn't think of including in a grammar book, like writing a thank-you note, addressing an envelope, memorizing the months of the year, picture narration, and much more. There are also several poems throughout each book for the child to memorize. We have also skipped many of those, because we do a lot of memory work through our Classical Conversations program. But I love that the opportunity is included!

I, for one, am looking forward to moving to Level 3 and continuing this excellent introductory grammar series.






No comments:

Post a Comment