Click any of the links above to find a Unit Study that I've designed (and usually tried with my own kids) just for homeschool families like you! This is a work in progress, so none of the units are completely finished, but hopefully you can find something you can use with your own family!

Search This Blog

Review: Story of the World History

Activity Book, Vol 1: The Ancient Times, Story of the World Softcover Text, Volume 1: The Ancient Times, Story of the World



Purchase & see samples here.


So far we have only used Volume 1 of this series, but I am so pleased with it, I already plan to go on with the next book. I heard so many good things about this series from so many people. I also loved all that I read in the same author's book The Well-Trained Mind-- so I had to try this history series. I have already learned more about history this year than I remember learning when I was in school. The stories are simple to understand and present the material in a chronological order that make it "fit" into the larger history timeline of events. While I do believe the author is a Christian, the material incorporates both secular and Christian historical events, in a practical way such that anyone could use it and talk about their own beliefs as you go along.

The number one complaint I have heard, which I do agree with somewhat, is that the text intermingles actual historical events with myths, fables, and other stories that are not actually true. The majority of the time, the author makes it clear whether the story is real or otherwise, and I do think it is important that the kids learn both, and learn how to discern between both. I think to some extent it is up to the parent (or teacher) to help them understand which is real and which is just fiction.

The Activity Book has really helped make the whole history experience fun (and my daughter's favorite subject)! We almost always check out some additional books about the week's chapter from the library. (There are also a lot of resources online that provide additional reading opportunities & hands-on activities. I have published on this blog the schedule of activities & books we used.) We try to do a hands-on activity every other week or so, depending on how much time I feel like dedicating to the topic. And these are the things that stick with the kids. Hopefully, when we're in 6th grade and going through Ancient History again, my kids will remember building a pyramid from Legos or making an African mask, and it will trigger their memory about what they learned from that particular time period. The great thing about the series, is you can really just read or listen to the stories from the text without doing any of the activities and still get plenty out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment