Click any of the links above to find a Unit Study that I've designed (and usually tried with my own kids) just for homeschool families like you! This is a work in progress, so none of the units are completely finished, but hopefully you can find something you can use with your own family!

Search This Blog

Human Body: Week 1: Cells


Human Body Unit Study Home Page


Activity 1: 

Using a large piece of butcher paper or poster board, trace your child's body. At this point, leave it completely blank but post it on a wall to use later with the My Body book.


Read: 

Usborne Encyclopedia: pg. 4-5 ("Inside Your Body")
My Body: pg. 13 "My Cells"


Vocabulary/ Copywork: 

Cells are the basic structure of all living things.


Activity 2: 

Create your own edible cell using Jell-O and various types of candy. We did this as an introduction to the parts of a cell. I showed the kids this diagram of a cell. We did NOT go into depth about the names and functions of the various parts. Basically I just wanted them to see that even though this is the smallest structure of life, it still has smaller parts inside it.





Watch: 

"The Cell Song" from YouTube:




Additional Reading: 

While there aren't many books for this age on cells, there are plenty that will give a good overview of the human body, which is great for this introductory week:

     
   


No comments:

Post a Comment